Re: [PCWorks] CPU Heat Sink Mounting Broken

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 01:18:20 -0500

The same thing happened to me a few days ago when I was
swapping out a mobo for my Dad.  Cheap plastic crap, they build
them that way to force you to buy more of them.  For me it
broke when I was trying to remove the (stock Intel P4 Socket
478) HSF unit off the mobo.  It's also an Asus.  I was able to
scavenge it from the other mobo.

These can be called more than one thing; motherboard retention
bracket, motherboard retention mechanism, motherboard retainer
retention bracket, etc., etc., and also with 'CPU' or
'processor' in those words, or with 'motherboard' replaced with
'mainboard'.  So they can be tough to find just on search
parameters alone.

Usually the stock ones are just a single piece of (cheap)
plastic that attaches to the mobo either with (what else)
plastic "push pins" or screws, screws which can be plastic or
metal.  Aftermarket ones can be like that or with a backplate
which is usually metal, and sometimes both the backplate and
actual retention/retainer can be metal.  You just have to be
sure you're getting one for a P4 Socket 478.

While the ones with the backplate are generally better for
durability/longevity and more evenly distribute the force
without board flexing, the backplate is solid and totally
covers up the back side of the CPU socket so no air flow can
get to it.  Also if it's metal, there's a thin plastic
insulating sheet about 1" square THAT MUST BE USED or else
you'd short all the SMD's in the area.  (Tiny caps, resistors,
etc, are on the back side of the mobo opposite the CPU socket).
It can be already stuck to the metal, or separate.  While I
personally like all the air flow possible, I have used these
types before with no heat problem, but it's even more
imperative the TIM (thermal interface material) preparation and
application be PERFECT.

Yes, the HS MUST be totally cleaned of old TIM.  If the
existing HSF unit is a stock Intel, that means a troublesome
thermal pad, which is usually saran-wrap-thin piece of aluminum
coated on BOTH sides with paraffin wax!  Regardless of how
smooth a metal surface may feel, it is FULL of large pores
(stupid I know) into which the wax will melt.  Even if it's
another kind of thermal pad, or just TIM alone, the pores get
filled with this old TIM (which is the purpose of the TIM to
provide a perfectly smooth non-porous mating surface).  All of
this old TIM must be removed to insure the best thermal
transfer from CPU to HS.  Do not use typical alcohol, denatured
alcohol is ok or xylene-based carburetor cleaner or other
xylene-based cleaner, also something called Goof-Off can be
used.  You have to really scrub and scrub until both surfaces
are PERFECT, it may take a while.

Don't use a stiff paper towel because that can actually scratch
the surface of the HS which is actually soft!  A cloth is ok,
don't bother with lint-free at this stage, but since you're
going to need one anyway then some kind of micro-fiber cloth
would be good.  You'll also need a can of compressed air.  Once
you're through scrubbing and the surfaces are pristine again,
you can wipe with the micro-fiber cloth.  Be sure that anytime
you use compressed air you trigger it a few times onto your
hand to be sure it's TOTALLY FREE of moisture and residue
BEFORE you blast the HS and CPU surface.  You'll of course need
to do that immediately prior to applying the new TIM.  Remember
that it only takes one microscopic piece of lint or similar to
ruin a perfect installation.  Also don't EVER touch the mating
surfaces with a hand or fingers once they've been cleaned.
There's also cleaning kits you can get from companies that sell
TIM, like Arctic Silver.  Never use any oil-based cleaners,
that includes any petroleum distillate, do not use.

Applying the new TIM depends on which kind you get or have.  So
I'd have to know that to go further.

What I do: I used the carburetor cleaner on the CPU and HS with
a soft paper towel being sure to often use clean areas of the
paper towel.  Then I followed with some more cleaner using a
coffee filter.  Once I was positive the HS surface was totally
clean, and lint free with the compressed air, I put a BB or so
size of the TIM and did the "tinting" process.  This involves
taking something like a credit card (which I use, an old one I
keep for this), and WITH FORCE drag and rake the TIM across the
surface in EVERY POSSIBLE direction.  Back and forth, both
ways, at about 5° increments, being sure to press down hard,
and being sure the card always has TIM on its under-edge.  What
this does is forces the TIM into the pores, pits, grooves and
valleys (which is why the HS surface to be totally clean
first).  The TIM takes the place of a flawlessly
mirror-machined surface, it, this process, makes the surface as
microscopically flat as possible.  Once you're positive the TIM
is in all the pores, wipe hard with a coffee filter, again in
every possible direction, actually trying to REMOVE ALL of the
TIM.  What will be left is a "tint" of the color of the TIM,
hence the name "tinting", and it is this tint due to the TIM in
the pores and grooves.

Follow with the compressed air again, then immediately apply
the new TIM, again following the directions.  Some require it
be *EVENLY* raked across the surface, some require another BB
or rice-grain-size of it to be put down and the compression of
the HS onto the CPU flattens it out.  Some types also do NOT
use the tinting process.

Since I use Arctic Silver 5 (aka AS5), it has its own specific
instructions which is covered above, but only for application
and not preparation because preparation is the same.  What
differs is the actual application of the TIM.  If you don't
have any, then I'd get some of that.  I wouldn't use that
garbage white silicone-based "thermal grease".  Silicone is
actually a thermal insulator!  ANY TIM is a thermal insulator
if too much is used.  The goal of TIM is to give you a
flawlessly smooth as thin as possible mating surface.

Here is a PDF from Arctic Silver covering the application of
AS5 for example:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/md/intel_app_method_middle_dot_v1.1.pdf
It also covers preparation.

I'll see what I can find in the area of the bracket you need
and TIM, and email you off list.
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner