[PCWorks] CPU Heat Sink Mounting Broken

  • From: Tom <tjd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:51:12 -0400

How might I go about trying to find the plastic bracket that
surrounds the processor and holds the heat sink on an Asus
P4P800 Deluxe motherboard?

I have a computer with an Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard.
Yesterday, Saturday, I heard a ping that kind of sounded like
a spring breaking.  It didn't appear to have come from the
computer, but later I discovered that it had.

I was listening to a streaming oldies program on the
Internet.  The computer continued streaming the station but
about an hour later when I tried using Internet Explorer the
computer shutdown.  I turned it on but within a minute or two
it would shutdown.  Sometimes it would almost finish booting
into Windows and other times it would shutdown before
finishing the POST.  I thought, dust, so did a good cleaning
of fans and boards etc. but the problem still existed.

For a second time I disconnected all the cables and put the
computer where I could work on it.  This bracket that holds
the heat sink has protrusions at each corner with holes in
them that holds springy pieces of metal tightly against the
heat sink.  One of the protrusions had broken and allowed the
heat sink to not be tight against the heat sink.  After
scratching my head for a while, I managed to come up with a
temporary repair but I'd like to replace the bracket if it's
possible to purchase one.  The computer has been working fine
with my fix.

I guess I should eventually clean the heat sink and CPU and
apply new heat sink grease but that's something I can't do
myself.  How good are the pads that can be put on a CPU to
transfer heat to the heat sink?

Hope some of this makes sense.

Thanks,

Tom