-=PCTechTalk=- modem wont connect, help

  • From: "cristy" <poppy0206@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:19:47 -0500

HI everyone,

Im a frustrated computer person tonight ;(
I was using my computer that is on dial up and had cut it off.  Started it
back up few hours later and could not connect.  Message was coming up Port
is in use by other device or modem is not configured etc...I called
Earthlink and checked some settings, before I called them checked modem and
had two listed same name but the one that was highlighted said not present,
the one under that with the same name was on COM 4.  Earthlink person said
it should be on COM3.  She told me to call my support (passed the buck)..but
my warranty is out for that.

So, I figured Ill try system restore, going back to an older restore point,
Even though I had created on just last night,, it would not let me restore
to any of theh earlier dates grrr....WHY NOT?? isnt that what it is there
for?  I removed the modem listing that said not present, the other one is
showing in there on com 4, when i checked devises, it said enabled and
working.  Im on my other computer now on cable.  Has anyone got a suggestion
about getting the modem back to normal and why cant I go back to a restore
point?

thanks,
frustrated christy "grrr..