-=PCTechTalk=- Re: zone alarm question windows xp

  • From: "~OoO~" <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:20:42 -0400

Everyone has different experiences. You really cannot go by just one =
person's opinion. People swear by ASUS motherboards, but the only two =
I've bought (and top of the line models, mind you) have been a disaster =
for me. They plain outright suck... IN MY EYES ONLY.

I've used Zone Alarm and Norton AntiVirus (integrated into the =
SystemWorks package) since the very beginning. We're talking about at =
least 6 years, probably much longer... way before Norton AV was going =
under the Symantec name. For Zone Alarm, I started using the free =
version, and eventually upgraded to the pay version. While the actual =
firewall is the same, the pro one gives you a few nicer, but =
UNNECESSARY, features. Do you need it? Probably not. That's regarding =
the PRO version. The free version, yes you should get. Well, let me =
rephrase that. You should get A firewall, but not necessarily Zone =
Alarm. You get what works best for you. You said you have wireless, so =
I'm assuming you're using a router. Router have firewalls built right =
into them. But, you should supplement it with a software firewall.

Again, you really need several opinions. But, if I were to recommend a =
software firewall it would no doubt be Zone Alarm. BUT... keep in mind =
that Zone Alarm has advanced much more than I think was necessary for =
them, being a firewall that is. They've expended their pro version to =
also include antivirus detection. On face value, it looks decent, but I =
can't say from any trial runs as I have not used it. Zone Alarm should =
stick to firewalling. They have all this other extra stuff. Back when =
they were new to the game, the firewall was very simple. And, well, the =
free version retains some of the simplicity, but not like the initial =
birth years of the product.

Just my opinion.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Sir Troth