-=PCTechTalk=- Re: help with annoying pop up window

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 22:52:14 -0400

Cristy,
    That link IS to a file in your own Temp Internet Files folder.  Your
PowerPoint program puts all of the parts of the presentation there while
it's running.

    The error message is telling you that the file has been changed in some
way and wants to know if you wish to save it in its new state.  I would
discuss this with someone in the IT department at your school.  It sounds
like they may have changed something on their end that's affecting your
access to your own files.  If it only happens when you download them,
however, it's more likely on your end.

    I do have one experiment for you to try that may end these issues.  If
you are uploading any files that contain spaces in the filenames, rework one
of your presentations so that all spaces are removed from its filename (and
any support files for it).  In other words, if your presentations are just a
single file, just remove any spaces in the name.  If your uploads include
any external support files such as sounds, images, etc, rework them so that
none of them have spaces in their names and fix the internal references to
those filename within the main project file.  Then upload it and see if it
works without the issues.  If it does, you'll know that the server is unable
to deal with filename spaces and you can adjust your approach accordingly.

Peace,
Gman