-=PCTechTalk=- Re: cuil.com

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:46:03 -0400

Who CUIL or Google tracks is not the problem.  Its the websites they
index.  I find it extremely odd that of the multiple billions of pages
indexed (allegedly more billions than Google indexes) CUIL could not
find anything at all and Google found 525 hits and the top two
correctly identify me and the BBS I used to SYSOP before the  internet
became popular. ( I used these keywords, excluding the brackets, for
this test . . .  [ +"don wilcox"  +florida 321 ]

http://tinyurl.com/cuil4don

(http://www.cuil.com/search?q=%2B%22don+wilcox%22+%2Bflorida+321)

http://tinyurl.com/google4don

(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2B%22don+wilcox%22+%2Bflorida&as_q=321&btnG=Search%C2%A0within%C2%A0results)

It is just too far fetched to think cuil could not find me.  The
problem might be failure to recognize such limiters as + or - or
quotes around phrases.  But that is far fetched also since it is
former google engineers behind the site.  What I find more believable
is poorly written algorithms.

Will cuil ever unseat Google, Yahoo and MS Live search engines?  No.
MS Live and Yahoo are having a hard time competing with Google let
alone unseating it.  And they've had years of experience at it.

Since cuil does not collect any data to be able to aggregate search
data it will be extremely difficult for them to make money via
advertising.  How long will cuil last with little or no revenue?  Or
do you expect to pay per search?

Don