-=PCTechTalk=- Re: System Restore

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 23:50:35 -0500

Hey Rick, no need to apologize. No disrespect taken. That's what the list is
about. Reassurance or debate is always part of the learning process.

I probably reacted to harshly to the System Restore. Yes, System Restore is
a powerful tool. I've never used it myself on my own systems, but have on
other systems. Let me take back that statement that it should be used in
lost hope cases.

In my belief, since SR completely restores all configuration changes since
the restore point, it shouldn't be used unless necessary. Do a lot of folks
use it "too much" or "too loosely"? Yes, probably. But, that's really just
my opinion. For some, System Restore was one of the best things MS gave
their OS. For others, its just an additional tool "just incase". I'm in the
latter group. I really prefer to pinpoint where the specific problem is in
the event necessary. If I can't get it, then I ultimately use the System
Restore. Although, like I said, I have yet to use it on my own systems.

Sorry if I frightened anyone on its use. I also mentioned in that last post
of mine that its possible you use SR with no problem at all... I should have
actually said, "many people have used it with no problem." But, every system
is different.

Here's the fear I have with System Restore. You do a restore... then all the
changes you've made in your Antivirus app or firewall will also go back.
That's just an example and of course that only applies if the settings are
in the registry. But, majority of antivirus and firewalls do just that,
simply for the security of it. But, the AV and FW are examples. Other more
important software can be affected... backup software, financial apps, etc.
And, all this, after the restore, you think all your settings on those other
apps are just fine only to find out later on when its too late that the
backup set you did on the backup software wasn't taking anymore due to the
restore, and the backup that's so desperately needed is nowhere to be found.

So... again... its my own thing, really, to use it after trying all other
avenues. But, that's me. Many, as witnessed here on the list, have used it
often, use it often and will continue to use it often. If that's the case,
so be it.

---Troth