-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Single vs Dual Core speeds

  • From: "Lilian" <lilian.oswaldocruz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:47:13 -0300

I second that... :o))

Lil
----- Original Message -----
From: <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 2008-06-18 13:54
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Single vs Dual Core speeds

All else being as equal as possible to make a faie comparison - is a 3GHz
single core processor faster or slower than a dual core operating at a
typical 2.0 GHz speed?

It seems to me that without an OS and software written to support the dual
core that there will be little if any benefit to a dual core processor
unless each core operates at the same (or near same) speed as the single
core being compared to.

Ditto with 64-bit processors.

Can someone here put all this 32/64-bit single/dual/triple/quad-core
gobbledy-gook into a perspective that makes sense to me (and everyone else
here)?

Thanks,
Don