-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Single vs Dual Core speeds

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 00:12:51 -0400

I didn't *know* but had a good idea that would be the answer.  To make sure
I understand all the rest of the your answer....

2 substantially identical computers.  One with a 2.2 GHz dual core
processor, one with a 2.2GHz single core processor.

A perfect, virgin clean install of a retail copy of Win XP Pro.  Literally
nothing else installed.

A folder with 3,000 MP3 files.

Which computer will Move those files to a second hard drive faster?  (I
suspect the dual core will)

Keep the 2.2 GHz dual core (since that is typical fastest sold at Wal-Mart)
but change the single core to a 3.0 GHz P4 with Hyperthread Technology.
Which will be faster?
(I suspect it will be close with the 3 GHz  P4 maybe having a slight edge)

The same scenario as above, except I just deleted 8400 messages spread out
over 3 dozen folders in Outlook Express.  I start compacting folders at the
same time as I start moving those MP3 files.

I suspect the dual core will run circles around the single core (both the
2.2 and the 3.0 GHz) since Windows Explorer and Outlook Express would each
have their own core.

To what extent will WinXP Pro recognize and use dual core technology?  If a
person buys a 64-bit dual core processor, would it make a substantial
difference to pay extra for a 64-bit operating system?  Would it do better
at utilizing a dual core processor?

Do you know of any multi-threading software for consumers?  Either in
existence or being written as we speak.

Don