-=PCTechTalk=- Re: SATA Raid - How To?

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 16:55:41 -0700

GMan,

Maybe I do not truly need a raid setup.  Maybe that would slow me down..I am
not sure.

I have a multitude of drives and drive letters.

A)  I have 7 hard drives:

B)  There are 2 internal drives and 5 external firewire drives

C)  2 of the external firewire drives are empty (one is 500GB and the other
is 400 GB and were purchased for backup purposes) both are 7200 RPM.

D)  I have approximately 615 GB of data on these drives (again, the 400 GB &
      500 GB are empty - new awaiting use)
     Of the above listed 615 GB of data mentioned above, about 200 GB of
     that is a backup of some of the data on the other drives.  At one
    point, I  copied what was critical to me to on this one drive. (It is a
    USB hard drive and it is not counted/listed in Section 1.  I am giving
that (Iomega
     USB drive to my other half as soon as I get a new backup
     system/procedure in place.)

E)  This approx 615 GB of data is on 12 drive letters (on the 5 hard drives
      currently being used and the USB drive mentioned in Section D.)

F)  It could be said I have approx 415 GB of data on my hard drives taking
     the last Section D into consideration.

G)  I have approximately 30 GB of data to add to my hard drives.  I have one
     drive letter that is one I use the most and it has only 7 GB of

G) What I want to do is use these 2 unused drives to have backups of my
    data.

H)  I am not sure of the most efficient/effective method of accomplishing
     this.

(I)  I have looked at options and to tell the truth, sometimes the more I
      research, the more confused I get as I like some features of some
     ideas and other features of other ideas.

(J)  I was originally interested in Mirroring the drives, but I am afraid
      that might not be the more efficient method.  I do not know if full
     system backups on the fly  better or if periodic backups are better.
     When I say better, I mean more efficient as far as system
      performance when I am using the system.  The flip half of more
      efficient is doing full system backups periodically is the amount
      of time it takes to do such a backup and  your  need to be
      present when backups are being processes (at least
     checking in every now and again).  Every now and again, a
     file name may be too long or have an invalid character and then it will
not back up
    or the backup stops.  Grrrrr!  I do not think I would really do a
     SYSYTEM  backup manually as it would take too long.  I would probably
do one
   drive letter at a time.  I know if I do decide to do a Raid backup
system, I
    need to buy a controller.  I only have one slot open in my computer and
   I was investigating getting a second video card so I could have a third
   monitor (widescreen).

(K)  Software I have::
        Norton Ghost
        Norton Save & Restore (The new software meant to replace Ghost)
        Backup Now
        Power Archiver

(L)  I have a Sony Vaio VGC-RA710G computer.
       It is a 3.2 GHZ machine with 3 GB of ram.

(M)  I think I should throw this in here too.  I am considering moving up to
        Vista.  I have run the compatibility program and my machine is fine.
        There were a couple of things I need to change..(my sound card) and
        something else.  Neither of the required changes will be hardships
         for me.

I do not know the answer of what to do.  (I can work out changing my
partition sizes (Partition Magic) so I have enough room on each drive letter
not only for my current needs and my projected future needs.)

If there is anything else you need to know..to make some sort of
recommendation(s), please feel free to ask.
If you want to refer me to a site to read stuff or anything else...I am more
than willing.to do whatever you think I need to do to make the best
decision.

Thanks in advance GMan, not just for this, but for all you do!

Thanks,
Rose