-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Read Only folders

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 03:08:25 +0100

On 8 Jun 2005 at 15:07, Jan Robey wrote:
> I transferred information from one computer to another via CD.  I
> understand this makes many things "Read Only"

Only on pre-XP systems. XP/2000 should automatically remove the read-
only attribute after copying the files over. Older operating systems
leave the read-only attribute turned on.

> when I try to open that very folder
> it is still back to 'read only'.  I tried a dozen times & each time I
> got the same results.  What am I missing?  I can't use these folders
> if it remains 'read only'.

You shouldn't be having difficulty OPENING a folder that is set as
read-only. The only things it should be restricting is the ability to
modify, rename or delete the file[s]/folder[s] in question.

Regardless, Explorer has always been a little buggy in setting and
clearing file attributes. You should have better results with the DOS
command, "Attrib".

Use the Command Prompt (in whatever version of Windows you're using -
in XP, you find it in Start >> All Programs >> Accessories). Use the
CD command to navigate to the folder you want, and then move one
folder "back" by typing "CD.."

You can then use the Attrib command to clear attributes on that
folder, and all subfolders. Type:

"ATTRIB -R -S -H *.* /S"

That should do the trick. The above removes the Read-only, System,
and Hidden attributes from all files in the current location, and all
subfolders.

If you need some tuition in basic DOS commands (like "CD"), just type
"command prompt tutorial" into your preferred search engine.

Faustus