-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Read Only folders

  • From: "Jan Robey" <hrstreak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:58:31 -0400

I tried downloading the 'read only utility' at http://tinyurl.com/df6t5,
unzipped it & ran it.  Still those folders remain Read Only.  Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Jan

Hmm, well, that's interesting...I've got XP Home, too, and it doesn't
occur. Haven't found a definitive answer on which operating systems
strip the attribute, and which don't. Some have speculated that
Service Packs make a difference. The way the CD was burned and the
type of file system (NTFS/FAT32, etc.) may also be a factor.
One of the switches in the XCopy command removes the attribute while
copying (but that's a rather long-winded way to copy).

Faustus

P.S. I missed out a setting on my previous message about the Attrib
command. Those looking to process folders (as well as files) should
incorporate the "/D" switch.
e.g. "ATTRIB -R -S -H *.* /S /D"

Of course, if DOS isn't your thing, there are also several small
Windows tools out there to change attributes in bulk, like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/df6t5