-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Quicken Backup

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:50:57 -0500

I'm sorry, Glo, I don't remember what operating system you're using.
I'll assume Win98 or ME since there are serious problems with ver 4 and
Windows XP.

Try using a CD-R and EZ CD Creator (do not use DirectCD).  Both are
installed under the Adaptec program but use the Program Menu, go to
Adaptec and select EZ CD Creator rather than DirectCD.  I believe the
interface is similar to DirectCD in that there are 2 double pane
windows, one above the other.  You expand the tree in the upper left
window, select the things you want to add in the upper right windows and
then click ADD.  They will then appear in the lower window, with folders
and subfolders in the left pane and contents in the right pane.  Once
items selected appear in the lower windows, they can be organized to
suit you.  Once that is done, there is either a NEXT button or a BURN
button and the next window will give you the option of closing the
session and closing the CD.  If you want the files to be readable, close
the session.  If you want to be able to add more files later, leave the
CD open, if not, close the CD as well as the session. (I don't have ver4
loaded anywhere right now, so I'm doing this from memory.  There may be
discrepancies.)

If you have Nero, version 5 or later, I would recommend installing that.
  The interface is a bit simpler and there are less steps involved.  I
like the ADD interface as it is less complex than the Adaptec one.

When you open Nero, choose Express (this is the simplified interface and
may be the default anyway) and then choose Create a DATA CD.  Click the
ADD button, which will bring up a window similar to the one you get when
you click on Save As... in any other program.  As you select items and
click ADD, they appear in the compilation window behind it along with a
bar at the bottom that tells how full the CD is.  Once you have selected
all you need, click Next and then name the CD and check or uncheck the
boxes for adding files later and data verification.  Nero Express always
closes the session, which eliminates a step and a choice for the user
(in this case a good thing).

Now click the Burn button and wait for the CD.  This will not take 20
minutes; more like 5.  Heck, it didn't take me 20 minutes to write this.

I'll check out the Ashampoo program.  BTW, the full Nero interface is
very complex.  But there is a button in the button bar that takes you to
the Express interface, which is much simpler and will do for 99% of your
copying needs.  There are versions of Nero out there that came bundled
with CD burners that have the Express interface only.  To me, these are
the best, since they do everything the casual user needs and don't
overwhelm you with options.

To backup to a folder first, simply create a new folder wherever you
want.  Now do the backup in Quicken but instead of selecting the A:\
drive, select either your new folder or the default location that
Quicken offers.  Once the backup is complete, find the file and right
click it.  Select 'Copy' and then go to your new folder and right click
again and select 'Paste'.  Now the backup file exists in 2 places and
you can copy the one in your new folder to the CD.

Let us know how it goes.

Tom