-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Noisy hard drive

  • From: "Sandi Beach" <sandib2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:59:02 -0500

I have a battery backup  and it had kept the computer on after all the
lights went out.  It was the middle of the night.  Two of our sons are here
helping their Dad (and me) with chores that are now difficult to do.  Middle
son sleeps in the computer room so he awakened me to ask why the computer
was still on when the power was off.
I came in and shut down properly and then pulled the plugs from the wall.
After sending my SOS to you guys I called Dave, my local tech, who was too
busy to help except over the phone.  Our oldest son is pretty computer savvy
so he talked to Dave and ultimately opened up the case to see what might be
the problem.  Son Gary found that it was the fan in the power supply, which
seemed to be slightly tilted and hitting against the back panel of the case.
He was able to slip in a piece of rubber right over the power supply and it
secured things enough to stop the noise.  It is now running quietly.
However, we found another issue when hooking things back up and temporarily
lost sound.  We tried playing a CD to check for sound and Windows Media
player asked for validation before it would play.  We canceled out on that
rather than try to validate.  Someone on this list (I think Don?) told me
about a year ago about Classic Media Player which I downloaded and still
have on my system  I opened it and it played the music CD just fine.
So, for now, things are operating sort of normally!  Dave has to come back
and install a new Processor whenever they locate one that will work on my
machine so I have kept him informed of the current problems and fixes (and
what we could not fix).
I think I can now open the case if the need should arise again in the future
as I was pretty involved in trying to get it open this time to search out
the noise problem.
Thanks to all who responded.
Sandi