-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Need help guys

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:50:13 -0500

Hi Lisa,
    Dr. Watson is a program that comes with Windows that basically debugs
problems like this.  Error Reporting uses the output generated by Dr. Watson
to determine if it's an OS problem they need to fix or if it's just a
corruoted file on the person's PC, which they'll ignore, of course.

    In a seriously small nutshell, the HOSTS file is a text file used by
Windows to hold domain info for your internet connection.  If this file
becomes corrupted, the system does what your sister's system is doing.  I've
never dealt with a corrupted HOSTS file before, so I'll have to look up the
fix.  I'm almost positive that you'll be told to delete it, but it's a
protected file that won't go quietly.  I'll let you know what I learn,
unless someone else already knows and chimes in with the directions.

Peace,
GMan