-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Losing Internet Connection on Cable Broadband

  • From: "Ange" <locustchewed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:19:36 -0000

Hi Scott
Do you mean ipconfig run from the command prompt or is this something I'm
unaware of?  In ipconfig there is a default gateway yes, the first 3
triplets being the same as my IP address.

Ange
a.k.a. Clueless of Doncaster

http://www.geocities.com/locustchewed/outanabout.html

~~~~~The Clueless Reply Separator~~~~~
From: "Scott McGuire"

Ange, when you run winipcfg.exe, does it show a default gateway?

Ange <locustchewed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Ok Folks ~ here it is ~ the
quandary of the clueless one. :o)
I need to go back some time here to November 2004 when I finally plucked up
the courage to install SP2 (spine chills at the memory).

I'd had the losing connection problem for a while anyway so I'd scanned
using McAfee Virusscan, Spybot~search and destroy and Ad~aware and used
Cleanup too. The machine was clean as a whistle and my Cisco tutor couldn't
find the prob so as he had made fun of the amount of programs on my
computer, I'd decided to format the HDD and do a clean install of Windows XP
Pro.

I had uptodate McAfee and Zone Alarm ready to put back on, SP2 on CD-ROM, I
checked the HP website for any info specific to my PC, backed up all my
files (that was fun ~ NOT) so I figured I was ready as I could be.

Anyway to cut a veeeery long story short. I formatted and partitioned my HDD
and installed XPPro & SP2. I kept the fuss down to a minimum and I believe
had put no other software on than my OS (+SP2), Virus software, Zone Alarm
and MSN Messenger. Was connected to the Internet but after 2 or 3 webpages
it would come up with Can't find server or page or sommat. MSN messenger
would hold out a bit longer but IE /Avant or Outlook Express didn't stand a
chance. Had several lengthy convos with my ISP who kept saying there was
nowt wrong with my connection, that it must be something to do with SP2 as
I'd cleaned my machine inside out even since the install of SP2. So off came
SP2 ~ and ~ Service was resumed ~ but not for long. I get varying amounts of
webpages, sometimes a whole few hours without a break but once one thing
goes they all do and I have to reboot to get another bite of the cherry so
to speak. This afternoon I had to reboot 4 times in half an hour and the
machine i
s clean ~ having said that I've been on for 2 hours now. I'd like to attempt
to get SP2 on here when I very soon do another clean install. (Glutton for
punishment I know)

Anyway ~ details
HP Pavilion 452.uk Running Win XPPro without SP2.
Intel Celeron 1.8GHz, 256 MB DDR SDRAM, 40GB HDD

And having read your page about it Mike and having done all that maybe I
should call myself "confused of Doncaster"
Sorry this is so long
TIA