-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Losing Internet Connection on Cable Broadband

  • From: Scott McGuire <scott_mcguire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:30:41 -0800 (PST)

Ange, when you run winipcfg.exe, does it show a default gateway?
Ange <locustchewed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Ok Folks ~ here it is ~ the quandary
of the clueless one. :o)
I need to go back some time here to November 2004 when I finally plucked up the
courage to install SP2 (spine chills at the memory).

I'd had the losing connection problem for a while anyway so I'd scanned using
McAfee Virusscan, Spybot~search and destroy and Ad~aware and used Cleanup too.
The machine was clean as a whistle and my Cisco tutor couldn't find the prob so
as he had made fun of the amount of programs on my computer, I'd decided to
format the HDD and do a clean install of Windows XP Pro.

I had uptodate McAfee and Zone Alarm ready to put back on, SP2 on CD-ROM, I
checked the HP website for any info specific to my PC, backed up all my files
(that was fun ~ NOT) so I figured I was ready as I could be.

Anyway to cut a veeeery long story short. I formatted and partitioned my HDD
and installed XPPro & SP2. I kept the fuss down to a minimum and I believe had
put no other software on than my OS (+SP2), Virus software, Zone Alarm and MSN
Messenger. Was connected to the Internet but after 2 or 3 webpages it would
come up with Can't find server or page or sommat. MSN messenger would hold out
a bit longer but IE /Avant or Outlook Express didn't stand a chance. Had
several lengthy convos with my ISP who kept saying there was nowt wrong with my
connection, that it must be something to do with SP2 as I'd cleaned my machine
inside out even since the install of SP2. So off came SP2 ~ and ~ Service was
resumed ~ but not for long. I get varying amounts of webpages, sometimes a
whole few hours without a break but once one thing goes they all do and I have
to reboot to get another bite of the cherry so to speak. This afternoon I had
to reboot 4 times in half an hour and the machine i
s clean ~ having said that I've been on for 2 hours now. I'd like to attempt to
get SP2 on here when I very soon do another clean install. (Glutton for
punishment I know)

Anyway ~ details
HP Pavilion 452.uk Running Win XPPro without SP2.
Intel Celeron 1.8GHz, 256 MB DDR SDRAM, 40GB HDD

And having read your page about it Mike and having done all that maybe I should
call myself "confused of Doncaster"
Sorry this is so long
TIA
Ange