-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Is 98 better than XP?

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 20:26:09 -0500

I'm not a big fan of Zone Alarm.  I've had it on a variety of systems and
many times it creates as many problems as it solves.  It's not rules based,
so it's not too flexible.  The logging sucks.  The constant nagging instead
of silently blocking the stuff you don't want to see is annoying.

If it was paid for, then I guess you should keep it.  If it was free, then
seriously consider Outpost and Sygate.  Both are excellent
application/rules based firewalls.  Sygate has a *very slight* advantage
with its excellent logging and intrusion detection but Outpost is just as
good a firewall and adds very, very good content/ad/popup blocking which
can be overridden site by site if necessary.  It will also filter email
attachments renaming as many extensions as you have on your machine.

I've tested all three programs side by side with the settings (as close as
possible) the same on similar machines and found that Sygate and Outpost
blocked as effectively or more effectively than Zone Alarm and didn't block
as much desirable traffic as Zone Alarm did.

On 6/1/2003 at 12:06 AM a whisper was heard, and the one known as
Hotredlips779928@xxxxxxx was rumoured to have uttered....