-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Interesting entries in mscofig startup

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:29:39 -0400

Don,
    These links don't work, but I was able to log in and check out the
images the usual way.  In looking at the two entries, I immediately noticed
that one points to HKCU (Current User) and the other points to HKLM (Local
Machine).  Without being able to see the rest of the Location field, I am
assuming that both blank entry path statements end at their respective "Run"
keys.  I am further assuming that the image of your Registry is showing the
Run key within the HKCU hive.  Finally, I do NOT see an entry in msconfig
for that Sonic RecordNow! entry shown in the registry image (this is
important).

    These two locations do not duplicate each other, so comparing the two
should give you a significant clue as to why they are not showing up in
msconfig (or perhaps they are).  Specifically, I predict that you will find
an entry within HKLM's RUN key that, like the Sonic RecordNow! entry, lacks
any Data column info.  If it turns out that both entries describe apps that
are no longer installed on your system, just highlight and delete the
entries from their respective Run keys and they should disappear form within
msconfig following a reboot.  If these are apps that are still installed and
should be working, you might consider reinstalling them.  On the other hand,
if the apps work in all other ways and you would be unchecking their
msconfig lines anyway, you can still just remove the reg entries and be done
with it.