-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IFRAME UPDATE

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 10:13:31 -0500

Outpost firewall has content blocking.  I automatically block all scripts,
pop-ups, referers, active x and java applets.  On mail and newsgroups I
also block cookies and rename attachments.  Then I set any individual web
page to override some of these settings if I determine they are necessary
to view the page and use the functions that need them enabled.  MOST times
they don't.  Half or more of the scripts are used only for ads and
tracking.

I don't really trust a site ever, but I watch the logs and evaluate how
important it is to view the page versus the possiblity of picking up
somthing nasty.  I never trust a site the first time I visit.  I add sites
I definitely *don't* want to my restricted sites in IE and it has
EVERYTHING disabled.  In addition, Windows Addressbook and OE Addressbook
(the same, really) are both totally empty.  Calypso is a pure text email
program, both sending AND receiving.  You can't catch a bug from a pure
text message unless it has an attachment.  Outpost, AVG and Calypso are all
set to screen attachments and if I don't expect one, it's dumped either at
the server before download or immediately deleted (no recycle or trash
folder) by Calypso before opening.  Messages that are sent to me in HTML
only format are dumped without even looking at them.

I don't have stationary, blinky text, colors, and banner ads on my mail.
In fact, the only thing left of the ad when I view or send it is a few
lines of text.  I can't italicize, bold, or anything like that.  I could if
I enabled HTML in Calypso, but I choose not to.  But in the time I've been
using these programs and this process, I've weathered approximately ten of
these attacks through mailing lists with nary a scratch and nary a virus
quarantine.  Two instances were flagged by MailWasher and never even got to
the computer.  Several were nuked by Calypso, the rest were disabled by
Outpost and sent harmlessly away.  It's not foolproof, but it's not a
cakewalk for the nasties either.

On 5/30/2003 at 6:47 AM a whisper was heard, and the one known as milady
was rumoured to have uttered....