-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Gateway Question : Update

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:03:55 -0500

Steve,
    I'm not on my home system, so I have no access to my vast collection of
knowledge and inspiration (all the junk I've saved over the years).  Still,
Ubuntu has a downloadable CD image that is designed to run directly from the
CD itself, without installing.  If it's not working like that on your system
(or you're not seeing that option), you may have downloaded a different one
than what I'm suggesting.

    Also, if the system was set up to run WinNT, the original hard drive is
probably formatted with NTFS.  That only means that consumer versions of
Windows (DOS, 3.x, Win9x & WinME) won't be able to even see the drive, so
installing one of those won't be easy.  The same thing goes for any other
drives you try.  If they are NTFS, earlier Windows won't see them.  I know
that's not what you're doing, but I wanted to push the info Just in case it
becomes a thought to you or others following the thread.

    What's probably getting in your way is a limitation on the size of the
hard drive volume you can use with that mainboard/chipset (a hardware
limitation that will refuse all attempts at a workaround).  I can't possibly
tell you what the limit might be since I don't have my reference material
here in Philly.  To test this idea, install the empty drive into your main
system and partition it so that the very first volume it contains is no
larger than 2GB and formatted with whatever file system (FAT, FAT32, NTFS,
etc.) can easily be seen by the OS you plan to install (I think modern Linux
distros can see most, but not all possible file systems).  Also, be sure to
set that partition as both Active and Primary so it can be used to house an
OS.  If this drive will be used for a Linux distro (Ubuntu is only one of
them), you can leave the rest of the drive Unpartitioned/Unformatted.
Installing a distro will take care of those things as needed.

Peace,
GMan

The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask.