-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Gas Prices

  • From: "Don WIlcox" <Dwilcox3@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:02:12 -0400

No it isn't.  You get about 10 or 15 minutes of labor for about 3 bucks on a
typical fill-up.  That works out to about $12 to $18  per hour.  About 20%
goes to pay non-salary payroll expenses such as employers share of social
security and other benefits such as sick pay, vacation and workmen's comp.
insurance.  About 5 or 10% will be used to pay for the various items used
such as the paper towels and windshield washer fluid.  It also pays for the
air compressor and pressure guage to take care of the tires.

Add in a reasonable amount for employer profit and other miscellaneous
overhead and that leaves about $7 to $11 per hour for the employee.  Even
less in reality, since very few customers opt for the full service island
and there is a lot of idle time (which might be filled with other tasks , of
course).  Not so outrageous in my book, considering most Wal-mart payscales
are in that range and the unions and others accuse them of not paying their
employees as much as they should.

Don