-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fan Placement

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 02:02:54 -0400

DJ,
    Have I told you lately that I love you?  There's nothing that makes this
job easier than to have visuals I can reference so that I KNOW I'm on the
same page as you.  Nice looking case, by the way.   :O)

    The description says that it'll support 2 80mm fans in both front and
rear.  It's easy to see where in the image they show of the back.  I can
only guess that the front also has the spots for them stacked one on top of
the other.  Since the side fan you removed is also an 80mm, you're half way
there to filling up both of the extra spots.  If you can, get yourself
another 80mm so you have 2 running in both the front and back of the case
(if you can manage it, you might want to replace all of them with good
bearingless fans designed for quiet operation).  Once they're all in place,
test the temps with the side vents as is and then with them covered.  I see
that there's more than just the area where the side fan used to be, so I'm
suggesting covering up ALL of the ones on this side of the case when you
conduct the test (leave the back side alone since those holes will help keep
the back of the mainboard cooler).  My hunch is that you'll get better
results without the holes messing up the air tunnel effect.

    Other than that, you could always pull the CPU, clean off both the top
of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink and apply just the right amount of
Arctic Silver thermal paste to make sure all of the excess heat is
transferring properly to the heatsink.  It'snot a difficult procedure and it
should lower temps a lot better than the thermal pads normally used by the
CPU makers (which are simply too thick to be effective enough for my
tastes).

    Also, take some dry q-tips and clean out the area between the fins of
all of your heatsinks.  You may have to remove a fan or two to get to them
properly, but it's worth it to be able to clean deep into these grooves.  If
you've never done this before, you might be surprised at how much gunk
builds up in there.  Of course, anything in there will dramatically decrease
their ability to get the job done.

    Have fun.       :O)

Peace,
GMan