-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Fan Placement

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 00:00:24 -0400

Hi DJ,
    I'm very glad to hear that you decided to test my advice to see
firsthand how they would affect the temps inside your case.  Just remember
that every case is different and that things like cables, drive placement,
fan locations and speeds, etc. will all affect the outcome of such
experiments.

    You say that your only front intake fan blows across the hard drives.
Can I assume from this that the hard drive cage is really close to the
bottom of the case?  If so, there probably isn't another location where you
can mount it on the front as a second intake.  That limits you to just the
one intake.  I don't suggest using it as a second exhaust fan since that
would do nothing but create a vacuum inside the case (2 out against 1 in)
and pull all sorts of gunk through every nook and cranny that air can pass
through (which would destroy the proper air tunnel effect we're trying to
perfect/maintain).  So, if you find that temps are even a little better
without the side fan, it might be in your best interest to just put that one
away as a spare.

    Tape something over the side holes (cardboard perhaps) so that it acts
like there's no hole there at all and see how your temps are affected.  You
might find that the temps go down some more.  Also, newer video cards have a
tendancy to run hotter than older ones and this may become more of an issue
as time (and upgrades) passes.  Since you are indicating that you somewhat
often run graphically intensive apps like Photoshop, you might want to look
into buying a decent add-in slot fan and mount it just under your video
card.  As long as you get a good one, it'll significantly reduce the heat
that just gathers around that card.  The fans on these slot mounted
solutions aren't very powerful, so it's just enough to drop the temps for
the graphics without upsetting the balance of air in & out of the case.  Of
course, this is assuming that your graphics card's fan simply blows heat
straight down towards the bottom of the case (and any other cards that are
mounted under it).

Peace,
GMan