-=PCTechTalk=- Fan Placement

  • From: "cajun12" <cajun12@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:46:52 -0500

G-Man,

I believe I DO have another place in the front of my case for a fan.  I =
haven't pulled the front off since I built this thing two years ago, but =
I believe I do have a place for another fan.  I'm going to check soon.  =
It sounds like you think this would definitely be the place to move the =
side fan if I do have a place in front.  I have my two hard drives =
mounted with one empty slot between them.  They are in the front near =
the bottom, and they mount horizontally in the case.  My case is a =
DynaPower.  You can see a picture of it here showing the left side with =
the most vent holes.  Scroll down to see the inside and back:

http://www.directron.com/bienblack.html

I have an Albatron PCI Express graphics card - 1 slot.  It's not a =
monster.  Directly below that is the extra USB hub that plugs into the =
motherboard.  Two slots below that is the sound card.  My case has some =
vent slits on both sides of the case on the bottom in the middle of the =
panel front to back that measures about 4"w x 2"h.  About 2" behind =
those slots on the left side of the case is a rectangle of holes that =
measure about 2-1/4"w x 4-3/4"h.  Near the top of the left side, between =
the two bottom sets of ventilation is where the round set of holes is =
that the side fan is mounted against.  I had two fan mount spots on the =
back of the case and I mounted the fan in the bottom one, which is about =
the middle of the case.  The top fan spot is right under the power =
supply, so the CPU is kind of between the power supply and the exhaust =
fan.  Someone who builds computers advised me to put the fans in these =
spots, but my CPU temps have always bothered me and I welcome any =
suggestions that might improve it.

Thanks.

dj