-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Emails that annoy

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:24:18 -0800

Hi Judith,
I use the plain text mode for email.
That way I don't get active HTML.

I use Mailwasher to view my email while it is still on my ISP server.
My ISP offer the Web-mail feature, where I can view the headers, as well,
but Mailwasher is faster 'most' of the time and allows me to see if there is
an attachment.
I delete anything that has HTML in it before downloading to my email
program.
Courier, which is the 'new and improved'<BG> Calypso.
In fact they had a new build issued this week.
Courier's plain text format removes 'rich text' and HTML, so that if I wish
to view them I have to double click the message to open it.
Then I have to double click on the 'message text' if it is rich text or
HTML.
Or if there is an attachment I have to double click on it to open it.
the links in an email are still click able so my accessing of links in email
is still functioning with Courier.

Most virus are picked up by Norton AV2004 as they are being downloaded.
Some of the scripts are picked up by Zone Alarm Pro also.

I feel that is is worth my time to protect myself and others from
virus/trojans/ and scripts.

See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes virus page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance Charter Member

On 02/12/2003 at 2:12 PM Judith wrote:

Emails that annoy me are the ones which have something embedded
in them and produce an HTML page which doesn't allow me to
close -- they flash on an off and then start putting pop-ups in
my task bar.

The only way --after I deleted the offending email -- is to
shut my system down to get rid of the flashing HTML page which
produces the pop ups.  Ctrl-Alt-Del and right clicking and
choosing Close won't even get rid of these buggers.

Has anybody else had this problem?  It's only been lately that
this has happened.  And, no I do not have a virus or a
trojan -- after I reboot everything is fine.

Judith