-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Earthlink DSL

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 12:18:58 -0500

Hank-
You don't need the Network Telesystems PPPoE client if you are using
XP.  XP has it's own built in PPPoE client that works very well.  As I
understand things, following the posts, did you ever get the Sync light on
the modem to stay lit?  BTW, what kind of modem did you
get?  Westell?  Alcatel Speed Touch?  Most of the DSL modems will have a
power light and a Sync light on the front.  Before you can do anything, the
power and Sync lights MUST be on and steady.  If the Sync light isn't
steady, you don't have sync with the CO (Central Office) and no amount of
fussing with the PPPoE software will help.

Do you have the filters installed on you telephone devices?  Make sure
there is NO filter installed on the DSL connection. And it is best to use
an Ethernet connection to the PC rather than a USB connection.

Tom