-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Earthlink DSL

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:59:14 -0500

Hank, Dave-
Here in the southeast we have Bellsouth, or, as they are affectionately
known, BS.  When the problem is DSL, they take their own sweet time fixing
it since there is no money in the DSL.  And this doesn't apply only to
secondary customers like Earthlink; they handle their own subscribers to
FastAccess the same way.

Their techs in the CO's have a strange way of doing things, like moving a
whole group of DSL users to a virtual DSLAM that hadn't been physically
installed yet.  For 3 weeks, several people didn't have DSL but the BS
techs kept saying that everything on their end was connected and
functioning properly. Once someone realized that a connection to a virtual
DSLAM wasn't quite as good as connection to a REAL DSLAM, the problem was
solved.

In the earlier days of DSL, the local phone company would send a tech out
to 'provision' the phone line.  Basically, the guy would hook up a meter to
see if the line could handle the DSL.  Took about 5 minutes.  Now, I think
they do everything from the CO rather than at the residence and sometimes
either the wrong line is set up or they just get backed up and don't get
around to it as quickly as you would hope.

Hang in there and keep power cycling the modem once or twice a day until
that Sync light shows a good connection; until that time you might as well
be sweeping the tide back, for all the good it will do.

And if you feel inconvenienced enough, don't hesitate to ask for a free
month or 2.

Tom