-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Degauss

  • From: "D H (Rick) Holmes" <hayvan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:18:01 +1200

Glenn,

Degaussing is used when TV screens get color imbalance - usually caused
by external magnetic influence.  I had it 30odd years ago when one of my
kids held a strong magnet near to the TV.  Where he did it went very red
( or was it green?).  The TV had a function called 'degaussing', and
running that fixed the screen color. This would, I think, be the same
with a VDU, Glenn.

I recall, from my WW2 Royal Navy days, that ships were fitted with a
cable round the hull, which, when electrified, prevented the
magnetically triggered sea mines from exploding. This also, was called
'degaussing', unless I am very badly wrong!!

So, unles your screen colors are crazy, you mau not need it.  Someone
elsemay have a view, perhaps.

Cheers,

Rick H