-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Degauss

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 01:38:13 -0700

I agree with what Rick just said.  The degausser gets rid of the magnetic
field/pull that messes up the colors on the screen.  If it ain't broke,  you
may not want to fix it..haha! Just kidding, I cannot imagine it messing
anything up ..to press it and see what it does....

We bought I believe it was an RCA color TV back in late 1968 or early 1969
(I had it before the Man Walked on the Moon..I remember sitting there &
watching it...in B & W of course...haha!)  (On a US Marine's pay..this was a
HUGE expense.  But my ex HAD to buy it for HIS birthday present.

This TV..would occasionally go bonkers (maybe every 6 or 8 weeks or so) and
get wacky colors.  The store would come out and do a 'Degaussing'.  It was
like witchcraft...lol!

The man had this black circular thing... about a foot across or so...and he
plugged a wire that was connected to it to the wall (I think... remember..I
am 60 and my memory is NOT what it use to be).  He would walk around the
TV..and you would see the colors stretch and shrink across the screen until
he got it set right.  It was really something to watch,.... (of course..this
was my opinion as it almost looked like magic to me since I knew (and still
do know) squat about electronics...

Later, TV's came out with an degausser included... and automatic degaussers.
You just push the button and it seem to blink a few times..colors seemed to
move and settle..and it appeared to fix the problem.

Some computer monitors (when they started coming out in color) had
degaussers in them and I did not know they still did.  There are RGB buttons
on some..but I do not think those are degaussers. I could be wrong.

I sort of was surprised to hear you ask the question.  Since, as I said
before I do not know much about monitors, or electronics, I did not answer
your original email.  I have not seen a degausser button on a monitor in
many years.

My other half was a radar repairman when he was in the National Guard.  I
will ask him tomorrow if he has any knowledge about the degaussers.  If so,
I will pass it on.

Have a happy Glenn, and keep doing the great stuff you do!

Rose  - A fellow font lover and fan....
Las Vegas