-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Default boot system

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 01:28:05 -0400

Don,
    Your working didn't sound like a "right" or "wrong" was possible.  The
question seemed far too rhetorical for that.   (I'm pretty sure that lets
you off the hook)          ;0}

    But he's right.  It really is that simple, provided that you are
actually able to save your changes once you edit the boot.ini file.  If you
find that the system has the file locked so that changes cannot be saved,
you'll need to remove the System attribute before saving the file.  I have a
utility called Properties Plus installed that allows me to change these
types of unreachable attributes whenever the need arises.  It's a free
program, so I can make it available to you if you need it.

To give you an example of something else you can do with it, here is what
mine looks like when I'm only running two instances of XP.

[boot loader]

timeout=10

[operating systems]

C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro [C]" /noexecute=optin
/fastdetect /usepmtimer

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro Safe Mode [C]"
/safeboot:minimal /usepmtimer

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro [D]" /noexecute=optin
/fastdetect /usepmtimer

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WinXP Pro Safe Mode [D]"
/safeboot:minimal /usepmtimer

Peace,
Gman