-=PCTechTalk=- Re: DSL

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:19:07 -0700

I agree with most of this but offer a couple of extra points.  Sorry
to take so long to reply but I've just returned from a hiking trip to
the Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc., in Arizona.  I'm back in Scottsdale
now.

First, while a phone works on just two lines, most all modern phone
connections have four wires, and new installations often have six
now.  Each phone line (number) in your home uses two wires as Rob
suggested.  If you only have one line (number), then you only use two
of the wires provided.  If you have two lines, you use all four
wires.

The filter works as described.........but you can use a filter at the
D-Mark.  The D-Mark is the connection where your line from the
outside is connected to a "block" and then all your lines inside the
house go from there.  For most phone companies, they say they own
everything from the street to the D-Mark, and the home owner is
responsible for everything beyond the D-Mark.  Rather than have
multiple filters for each separate phone, or phone wire in your
house, you can put a filter on at  the D-mark and have it work on all
phones.  If you use DSL, and only have one phone line in use at your
house, a good way to set it up is to run a single wire (actually two
wires) directly from the D-Mark to the room where your modem is.
Then place a filter, after the connection for the DSL modem but
before all other phone connections or wires for phone connections.
I hope this is clear.   I did this in my own home and substantially
improved my connection speed.  I'm running about 630 kbps and that's
very, very good for DSL in my city.

Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",

     ,,,,,,,,
     Ô¿Ô¬
  Cincinnati, Ohio
Scottsdale, Arizona
Sunday
04/20/2003
10:08:28 PM

Don't frown because you never know who will fall in love with your
smile.

|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|:0:|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|

¤¤¤¤¤ On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 05:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
¤¤¤¤¤ Rob Wiens wrote:
¤
¤
¤
¤ Hi The lady with the phone company you were talking with has no
¤ idea what she is talking about, she's a sales rep not a tech. The
¤ phone in your house works on two wires (tip and ring) not four. The
¤ DSL modem just plugs directly into the phone jack, if you are using
¤ the individual line filters they go between each phone and the wall
¤ jack, you do not use a filter on the DSL modem. The filter is a low
¤ pass filter and removes the frequencies above 4KHz, without them
¤ you voice connection will be very noisy. If you go with a single
¤ line filter it is placed on the last point out of your house, the
¤ voice circuits are attached to the filtered output side and the DSL
¤ modem to the data side. The single line filter is the best option
¤ if it is available to you
¤
¤ -- Glo <redowl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
¤ ¤ C, ok here goes:  the DSL lady told me that inside he telephone
¤ ¤ jacks are four wires that need to be turned" in order to make the
¤ ¤ DSL work, as opposed o just telephone (at least I think that's
¤ ¤ what she aid!) She said this is something I could possibly o
¤ ¤ myself to save the $99 installation fee, which ould be the
¤ ¤ difference in whether or not I get it.
¤ ¤ o you know anything about that, or is there a ebsite that might
¤ ¤ illustrate the procedure?
¤ ¤ ---- Original Message ----- rom: The Keyboard Cowboy o:
¤ ¤ pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ent: Monday, April 14, 2003 8:26 AM
¤ ¤ ubject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: DSL
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ hoa.....lets step back and take a deep breath <G>
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ ere are some facts, and observations.........
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ o connection to the internet is absolutely safe.
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ o software will stop 100% of the threats to a omputer.
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ igh speed connections (ADSL, DSL, cable, etc.) so ar exceed the
¤ ¤ xperience of dialup that anyone who can afford it HOULD use it.
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ igh speed connection should be utilized with roper safeguards.
¤ ¤ hese safeguards include a good AV software that's ept up-to-date,
¤ ¤ a SL switch, a firewall software, and proper use of oftware to
¤ ¤ remove spyware", etc.
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ hink of the experience of "safe computing" as eing something like
¤ ¤ safe sex", it's not hard to practice, it's ssential, and the
¤ ¤ ewards far outweigh the cost/work of practicing afe computing.
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ he risk of serious hack-attack on a home computer is relatively
¤ ¤ mall.  Most of the problems encountered are nnoyances more than
¤ ¤ erious problems.
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ he fact that the real risk is relatively small OES NOT mean one
¤ ¤ hould not protect their computer -- computer wners have a
¤ ¤ esponsibility to protect their computer to revent it from being
¤ ¤ sed to attack others!!
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ y advice is to continue on your path and enjoy he experience of
¤ ¤ SL.  Obviously you are reading and studying  the ubject and
¤ ¤ that's OOD thing.  If you have specific uestions.....feel free to
¤ ¤ ask nd we'll do our best to help.
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ egards from the Keyboard Cowboy",
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ ,,,,,,,, Ô¿Ô¬ incinnati, Ohio cottsdale, Arizona
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ ne good turn  --  gets most of the blankets.
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|:0:|¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥|
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ ¤¤¤¤ On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 02:43:36 -0700 ¤¤¤¤ Glo wrote:
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ i all, another question for you:  I am planning o get DSL (am now
¤ ¤ n dial-up) and since the computer will be lways connected I onder
¤ ¤ how secure it will be?  Will I be more ulnerable to ackers, etc?
¤ ¤ I also plan to download ZoneAlarm irewall after DSL s installed,
¤ ¤ but just read an article on some alware that enetrates ZA with
¤ ¤ almost no detection.
¤ ¤ o maybe I shouldn't get DSL after all?  I'm nterested in speed,
¤ ¤ ince dial-up is so slow on the internet. What lse should I be
¤ ¤ ware of? TIA--Glo To unsub or change your email ettings:
¤ ¤ ttp://www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ o access our Archives:
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ ttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCTechTalk/messages/
¤ ¤ ttp://www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ or more info: //www.freelists.org/cgi-
¤ ¤ in/list?list_id=pctechtalk
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ o unsub or change your email settings:
¤ ¤ ttp://www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ o access our Archives:
¤ ¤ ttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCTechTalk/messages/
¤ ¤ ttp://www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ or more info:
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=pctechtalk
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ o unsub or change your email settings:
¤ ¤ ttp://www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ o access our Archives:
¤ ¤ ttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCTechTalk/messages/
¤ ¤ ttp://www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/
¤ ¤
¤ ¤ or more info:
¤ ¤
¤ //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=pctechtalk
¤ ¤
¤ ¤
¤
¤
¤
¤
¤ The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
¤ http://search.yahoo.com To unsub or change your email settings:
¤ //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
¤
¤ To access our Archives: