-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Can't update anti virus more info

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:15:25 -0500

Terry,
    Unless you have apps installed that create a backup of the HOSTS file,
there should be one HOSTS file that doesn't contain an extension.  You have
now succeeded in making me a little nervous with your report of modifying
multiple files with multiple extensions, especially the one with the .SAM
extension.  Before you do anything else, run a search on your C: drive for
"lmhosts" (without the quotes).  You should only find one of them.  Assuming
that's the case on your system, add the '.sam' extension back to it.

    Do you have Crossloop installed?  If not, go to the link below, download
and install it and let me know when you're ready for a remote visit.  The
installation will ask you to create an account.  Instead, you want to skip
that step by clicking on a small link in the bottom right corner called
"skip this".  In the meantime, do NOT reboot your system.

www.crossloop.com

Happy Holidays,
Gman