-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Boot Disk Failure

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 10:41:30 -0400

Warren,
    There are several likely candidates to test before settling with a
conclusion of 'failed hard drive'.  Having someone working inside the case
immediately prior to the issue is enough to suspect a loose connection
somewhere.  The fact that the work done directly involved the hard drive
connections makes that possibility much stronger.  I've been working with
these infernal contraptions since 1982 and I still have occasions when my
own hard drive installs give me this message.  I go back in and find that
one of the cables wasn't quite plugged in all the way (older SATA
connections are famous for having this problem) or, in the case of the older
IDE style cables, I may have one end of it plugged in backwards (red stripe
is not going to 'pin 1' of the port).  I've also had times when I simply
forgot to plug a power cable end (molex connector) into the drive.  The last
time that happened was about 7 months ago.       lol

    If checking the direction and reseating the cables doesn't help, it
could indicate a data cable that's gone bad (i.e. a broken wire).  If you
have a spare, try swapping out the old cable for the new one and retest.  If
it works, immediately throw out the bad cable since they are not worth
trying to repair for later use.

    Let me know how you make out with these suggestions.  If they don't
help, we'll dig a little deeper.

Peace,
Gman