-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Articles of interest???

  • From: "David Weaver" <djweaver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:07:24 -0500

Interesting that Hinojosa misses the point.  Microsoft closed the loophole
because of prepackaged computers coming with XP Home/Pro and rather than
those copies being activated, the computers are being mirrored with a
corporate key.

So all the OEM license from the big corporate / education institutions stuck
to the sides of the computers weren't being used.  A lot of people figured
this out, copied the numbers,  took the XP CD and because the OEM versions
didn't need activated, they installed on other computers.

It certainly is theft from the original purchaser and because of the way XP
EULA reads from Microsoft.  The easiest way to take care of it, block
automatic activation once XP checks regularly, and disable the software
forcing the user to verify on older systems, and newer systems having them
to call in.

Frankly, I sort of like the idea.  It allows smaller OEMs like myself to now
compete because we aren't necessarily affected.  I can buy OEM licenses for
the computers I build and they are able to auto-activate.  It's just the
bigger manufacturers with those huge contracts to business and education
whose OEM license were able to be taken advantage of.

Dave