-=PCTechTalk=- IDE2 & IDE3 Connectors on new build

  • From: "Cajun" <cajun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:42:48 -0500

Chris & Don, I solved my problem!  It appears that on this particular board
the onboard IDE RAID chipset HAS to be enabled in order for any drive(s) to
work on IDE2 & IDE3.  Since I already had XP installed on the HDD from IDE1,
I copied the drivers onto a floppy, plugged the HDD back into IDE1 and
installed the chipset drivers into XP.  As soon as I had enabled 'Onboard
H/W Raid' in the BIOS, the computer tried to boot into XP from IDE2 but
couldn't because I did not have the drivers installed.  After installing the
drivers and plugging the HDD back into IDE2 and the CDROM & Zip back into
IDE1, it worked beautifully.  I thought I was going to have to go set up a
JBOD in RAID, but it seems to accept just one hard drive without doing that.
In fact, when I went into the RAID setup utility, it showed the one HDD but
wouldn't let me click on anything because there was no RAID to set up.  I
also wasn't able to enable S.M.A.R.T. while the HDD was on IDE1, but once I
got it recognized on IDE2 I was able to enable S.M.A.R.T. on the drive.

Thanks for all your help!  : )

   )
 (