[pchelpers] Re: wireless router, suggestions please

  • From: "PcCowboy" <saddle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:24:02 -0500

Here is my setup.
I have a home network of 5 computers.
4 in the house and one outside in the shop
about 150 feet away. I use a wireless card
to connect my outside computer to the network.
The signal that comes from my house out to my
metal shop building is showing "very good" at
22mps. I once moved a 500mb file over in less
than a min.
The computers in the house are wired to a wireless
hub. The outside computer is the only computer
that uses the wireless. All computers uses the internet
connection from one computer.
Here are the specs
Hub:
D-Link AirPlus DI-614+ Enhanced 2.4 GHz Broadband Router.
With 4 wired ports. $69.95
I do not use the Broadband part of the Router. I have a wireless
internet connection on my computer. I picked this Router cause
it had 4 hardwire ports for my house computers. Also the rate
is 22mps and with the new firmware update you can run it at 4X

Card:
D-link AirPlus DWL-520+ Enhanced 2.4 GHz Wireless PCI adapter. $59.95
I install this card into my outside computer and I didn't have to do
any configuring. It matched with the hub and connected right out
of the box.

I'm planning to buy more of these cards for the rest of my computers
and then I can get rid of the hub and wires.

Best Buy has the full line of D-link products.

Pc