[pchelpers] Re: wireless router, suggestions please

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "G.R. Hanson" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:45:29 -0500

Hi Re-Na,

GRH> For those of you that have a wireless router, could you give me an idea of
what that costs to set up?
GRH> I'm on cable internet now.  One computer.  But soon I may have another
computer, but it will be in a different part of the house.  Paying for the
cable twice is not an option  here, grin.

You'd probably want one that does both CAT5 and wireless; hook up the
current computer to CAT5, and the new computer on wireless, although
there's no reason you can't have them both wireless.

I think wireless routers are around $65 or so, although you should
check prices to be sure.  Wireless card for the other computer, I have
no idea.  Network card for the first computer can be had for as low as
$10, if it doesn't already have a network port on it.

The manuals for wireless routers look pretty good (at least the one I
saw was ok), so you can probably set it up yourself.

You may want to ask ISP how much they'll charge to do it for you; if
so, they'll probably want to rent the router to you, etc.

Be sure to check your security settings, to be sure that neighbors and
passers-by don't hook into your network and use *YOUR* IP address to
do stuff that you wouldn't want traced back to you.  Many of them come
out of the box with little or no security.

--Scott.