[pchelpers] Re: transfer data, please help

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "G.R. Hanson" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:27:36 -0500

Hi Re-Na!

Friday, July 25, 2003, 9:19:04 PM, you wrote:

GRH> OK, some step by step instructions or a site to find some would help.
GRH> Remember, I only just got  xp, so it's all new to me.

Since I use XP, and I have a computer in the other room that has
Win98SE on it, I'll take a shot; I think directions are sufficiently
detailed to figure things out that I may not have covered.

Plug the network cable into both computers. Hopefully it's a crossover
cable, not a standard cable, else it won't work.

On the XP system:

I have WinXP Pro, and have little experience with the Home version; it
may be slightly different.

Click Start -> Control Panel, double-click Network connections. You
should see an icon named "Local network connection", or something
similar. Click File -> Network Setup Wizard. Click Next, Next. Select
Other, then click Next. Select "This computer belongs to a network
that does not have an internet connection", and click Next. If it asks
about "Bridging", select "Let me choose", and click Next, then clear
all boxes except the one for "Local Area Connection" (or something
similar), and click Next. Click Next again, then make a note of the
workgroup name, which is probably "MSHOME". Click Next again, then
double-check the settings, and click Next a final time.  After that,
go to My Computer, right-click on C:, and select Sharing.  Create a
new share called "C".

On the Win9x system:

I'm looking at a Win98SE system right now.

Right-click on Network Neighborhood and select Properties. You should
have Client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP, and one for the network
card. If you don't have TCP/IP or Client for Microsoft Networks, add
them in. Go to the Identification tab and make sure that the workgroup
is MSHOME. Go back to the Conffiguration tab. Click on the File and
Print Sharing button, and turn on file sharing. Click Ok. After it
restarts, open My Computer, right-click on C:, select Sharing, create
a share named C, with full access.

Restart both and see if you can see the 98 machine in My Network
Places, or the XP machine in Network Neighborhood. If neither shows
up, probably need to tinker with the TCP/IP settings. Set one to an IP
address of 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0. and the other to
192.168.0.2, same subnet, restart, and look again.

If (when) you are able to see C on the other computer (make sure it's
not your own C), right-click and select Map Network Drive, and map it
to a drive letter. You can then use that drive letter almost as if it
were a drive in your computer; mark everything on the C drive on the
old computer, except the Windows folder, and copy it over to a new
folder on your new system.

--Scott.