[pchelpers] Re: program phoning home?

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: GCox <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:02:53 -0500

Hi!

If you look over my previous message, you can see how I followed the
trail. The first thing I did was find the domain name using nslookup
224.0.0.2. I could have done it with ping -a 224.0.0.2 also. The
domain name looked rather generic, and the IP address looked odd, as I
mentioned, which made me think about trying the tools at Sam Spade
(which I already knew about) to get a more detailed report. The report
from one of the tools on the site says "IANA special use", and "Please
see RFC 3171 for additional information." I then used Google to look
up RFC 3171:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=RFC+3171&btnG=Google+Search,
and the first link describes that group of IP addresses. Finally,
looking through the last link I gave may help you identify what
program is attempting to use that P address. Several of the pages
mention IGMP, whatever that is.

--Scott.

Sunday, July 13, 2003, 10:52:28 AM, you wrote:

SM> Hi!

SM> Sunday, July 13, 2003, 1:44:34 PM, you wrote:

G>> Can anyone tell me how to find out who belongs to the url 224.0.0.2? Windows
G>> kernel core component tries to contact that site each time I go online. I
G>> want to know who it's trying to reach and why. Thanks.
SM> ***********************
C:\>>nslookup 224.0.0.2

SM> *******************************
SM> Very odd-looking IP address.

SM> Go to http://www.samspade.org if you want more.  The next item is from
SM> there:

SM> http://www.samspade.org/t/whois?a=224.0.0.2&server=magic

SM> RFC 3171 is: IANA Guidelines for IPv4 Multicast Address Assignments

SM> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3171.html

SM> 224.0.0.2 turns out to be part of "Local Network Control Block", which
SM> is described as:

SM> For more information, look through
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22224.0.0.2%22

--Scott.