[pchelpers] Re: WIndows NT 4

  • From: "John Ford" <john.ford1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 23:44:29 -0500

John,

I have seen similar problems with older cabling for a number of reasons.
While the cable itself is not "bad" it can be susceptible to noise and
corroded connections especially splices. Also I have seen that after a time
changes have been made to a building laying other types of cables alongside
the network cables especially noisy electric wiring and this can cause any
of a number of problems.

I remember using UNIX in the "old" when I helped write software for Bell
Labs and we had problems with large batch files running in the background.
We found that if a certain computer on the network was a "bit" faster than
say another running the same type of files, their output would get into the
server almost at the same time and this would cause a major roadblock an at
times it was the best computer would win and cause the other to crash or
stop functioning.

I have a question for you about the Network that is running Windows NT4. Are
all versions of Windows NT4 the same on the network? Have all been upgraded
to the same version and patches? If you have one or more that are different
this may cause some of your problems as they may be handling the data a bit
differently and the server may sense this as another type of command and
this can cause what you are describing. It is also possible that you have a
bad memory module, or one that is intermittent on either the server or one
of the network's computers. Backing up data is time consuming and a big
memory hog. At times it will bring a very good system to its knees and
everyone looks at it and cannot duplicate the glitch so as to troubleshoot
its root cause. I would check the versions and memory of all on this
particular network and also make sure that someone has not mixed and matched
memory of different speeds. Some will say this is OK but I have found that
to be true. If you have more detail let us know and maybe we can take
another look at it.

John F