[pchelpers] WIndows NT 4

  • From: John Bird <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:21:55 +1300

Our firm supports our own software running on all flavours of Windows
networks as well as Novell, SCO Openserver (Unix in other words) and
linux.  We have one client running a network with Windows NT4 which has
more problems than all of the others put together.

The sorts of problems are screens just falling out of our software, back to
the WIndows desktop, sometimes with a general catch-all error indicating
the program had trouble loading more of the underlying runtime system, or
the running program file, or sometimes with no error.  Also if it generates
a command will crash the parent program sometimes (as example of command is
executing a batch file that copies a number of very large files for backing
up data - I suspect that copying large files has used some big memory
buffers and made something go flaky), or sometimes freezing solid.

I have always suspected there is an underlying network problem, e.g.
involving brief network server outages or time-outs but have never been
able to prove it.  Other software on the same network (e.g. Word) also has
similar occasional problems e.g. when saving files or printing, but not so
intensely as our software, which is constantly reading and writing data on
the server. The server event logs do not report any particular obvious
faults.  The cabling at this site is quite old (over 5 years).

Question:
Does anyone have any suggestions, or know of any software for monitoring if
a network is having intermittent faults (e.g. due to lots of collisions, or
the server freezing for short periods etc).

John Bird
Beyond Data Systems
john@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Ph 64-3-3654656 or 025 367702