[pchelpers] Re: Replace memory??

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 10:32:33 +1200

On 31/05/2010 8:59 a.m., Mike Miller wrote:
> Folks:
> I have a 6 year old Dell 2350, it runs Windows XP SP2. A few years ago, I
> replaced a bad memory stick in on advice of a computer Guy.
> I had an excel spreadsheet that suddenly got scrambled while I was working on
> it. The new Memory cured the problem.
> Now, occasionaly on shut down I get a brief msg on the screen that says "it
> cannot write to memory xxsx93938, or some such number.  Also, for no apparent
> reason at times, the desk top repaints itself, goes blank then  all the icons
> seem to be like when it boots up before it is done, then it is normal for a
> while.
>
> i have cleaned out all the dust, made sure the fan is not blocked and running
> ok. Nothing else seems to be wrong, with the exception of s slow boot up to
> my settings(probably due to a lot going on and it is old.).
>
> I have not been able to connect this occurence with what I am doing at the
> time.  Any ideas, or is it just old and wants to die?
>
> Tx
>   Mike M
There is something you can try if you are willing. Over time dust and
oxidation affect contact surfaces. Physical memory is one of the items
often affected. Here is the general procedure.

Note: Memory is considered a static sensitive component. Therefore it is
necessary to avoid wearing woolen garments or any fabric that produces
static during this procedure.
1) Shut down and disconnect the mains plug.
2) Carefully open the case, taking care not to touch circuits unnecessarily.
3) Ground yourself by holding the metal casing with one hand.
4) Take a cotton bud and dip it into some isopropyl alcohol
5) Carefully (without touching the chips), loosen the catch that holds
memory in place. Handle memory by its non conductive edges to prevent
static problems.
6) With the cotton bud (wet with alcohol), rub it gently over the memory
card edges. You may notice some marks on the cotton bud from cleaning.
Turn it over and clean the other side edge as well.
7) Allow time for the alcohol to evaporate.
8) When you are satisfied, carefully return the memory to its place and
close the case.
9) You may wish to wait a little longer to ensure complete evaporation
(some of the alcohol helps to clean the motherboard contacts upon
re-inserting the module).
10) When you are satisfied the alcohol has evaporated, try powering up
and run whatever memory checks you can.
11) If the same problem still exists, then the module may be faulty.
--
Regards, John Durham
Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786