[pchelpers] Re: Rant

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: edwestern <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:13:16 -0500

Hi Ed,

Wednesday, June 9, 2004, 10:54:11 AM, you wrote:

e> My turn to rant:~ )
e> I am really tired of attempting to help different ones on this
e> group & never receiving a response. My attempts are not long
e> affairs. I don't scattershoot problems. I ask questions. I try to
e> get to the heart of the problem. Maybe I'm not as smart as these
e> other guys but I want to completely understand the problem & its
e> causatives, so I need your input. Computers are not toasters. They
e> are unique in some respects to each user. If you want quick fixes,
e> go to an allopathic doc & ask for a pill. If you appreciate the
e> help EACH of us try's to give than please respond. I have seen too
e> much "ink" & time & effort wasted because the true problem was not
e> understood.

I occasionally see people (apparently) pick ONE item from a list of
several "try-these", try it, fail, and report "nothing worked!!", and
a day or two later, a fix is found, which turns out to have been one
of the items (typically one that the author considered most likely to
work) on the "nothing worked!!" list.

At work, I occasionally need to write detailed instructions for doing
things, and it seems that invariably everyone skips various parts of
the instructions, no matter what you do (such as numbered lists with
an underline for writing a checkmark) to try to keep that from
happening.

--Scott.