[pchelpers] Messed up xp

  • From: "PcCowboy" <saddle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pchelper" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:39:02 -0500

My son did it again.
He has a 98/xp pro system.
Last night he turned it off and this morning all he gets is
scandisk/reboot scandisk/reboot.
That is all it does. Even in safe mode.
So I ran this from a bootdisk.
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

I got xp a going. After some testing I found that it is the "software" file that
is causing the problem. I can put back in place all the current "system, sam,
security, and default" files. But when I put back the "software" file. It just
starts rebooting again.

How do I restore this "software" file with an older one that isn't as old as the
one that was in the repair folder.
There are no restore points, he turned that off.

Is there a way to restore the registry where I can look at several and pick the
one
I want to restore. Or doesn't xp save several registries back-ups like it use
to.

Clay has lost all his installed programs and really don't want to re-install
all of them again.
98 starts OK and I can work with the XP drive that away.

Pc