[pchelpers] Re: INBOX.msf

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 08:36:44 +0300

(resending to get rid of =3D20 junk added by server only once)

Hi Dallas and Susan

The easiest temporary solution is usually to rightclick the folder and
choose "compact this folder", and the easiest permanent solution is to
let Thunderbird do this automatically:
"Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network & Disk Space -> Disk Space ->
Compact folder when it will save over 100 kB -> OK."

(for more info see
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Tips_:_Compacting_Folders#How_to_=
compact_folders)

> C:\\Documents and Settings\[Your Name]\Application
> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\Mail\Inbox

Actually, the [profile name] folder and the mail server folder are
missing in that path, and you definitely want the index file Inbox.msf
as in the directions, which is automatically regenerated, not Inbox,
which is the inbox itself:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows user name>\Application
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\Mail\<mail server>\Inbox.msf

The location is different in different versions of Windows, and you can
put it anywhere you want, so the easiest way to find it is to use Search:

If you=92re using Windows a quick way to find the .msf files in all of th=
subfolders is to enter *.msf in Start->Search. On Windows XP, ensure
that "Search hidden files" is chosen under "More advanced options"; on
earlier versions of Windows, ensure that hidden files are viewable in
Windows Explorer ("Tools -> Folder Options -> "View hidden files and
folders").) Make sure that you only delete msf files in Thunderbird
folders - other programs may use the same extension!

> I could be wrong but deleting the Inbox.msf will delete your entire
> inbox though.  Perhaps it's just JWtalks folder that needs deleting (bu=
> again you may lose all it's contents). Maybe someone else here knows.

No, Inbox.msf is not the inbox. I should hope no program in the world
would suggest deleting data without at least a warning. (Well Microsoft
does in fact do that with ScanDisk and probably Chkdsk too.)