[pchelpers] Re: INBOX.msf

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 08:20:44 +0300

Hi Dallas and Susan

The easiest temporary solution is usually to rightclick the folder and=20
choose "compact this folder", and the easiest permanent solution is to=20
let Thunderbird do this automatically:
"Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network & Disk Space -> Disk Space ->=20
Compact folder when it will save over 100 kB -> OK."

(for more info see=20
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Tips_:_Compacting_Folders#How_to_=
compact_folders)

> C:\\Documents and Settings\[Your Name]\Application
> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\Mail\Inbox

Actually, the [profile name] folder and the mail server folder are=20
missing in that path, and you definitely want the index file Inbox.msf=20
as in the directions, which is automatically regenerated, not Inbox,=20
which is the inbox itself:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows user name>\Application=20
Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\Mail\<mail server>\Inbox.msf

The location is different in different versions of Windows, and you can=20
put it anywhere you want, so the easiest way to find it is to use Search:

If you=92re using Windows a quick way to find the .msf files in all of th=
e=20
subfolders is to enter *.msf in Start->Search. On Windows XP, ensure=20
that "Search hidden files" is chosen under "More advanced options"; on=20
earlier versions of Windows, ensure that hidden files are viewable in=20
Windows Explorer ("Tools -> Folder Options -> "View hidden files and=20
folders").) Make sure that you only delete msf files in Thunderbird=20
folders - other programs may use the same extension!

> I could be wrong but deleting the Inbox.msf will delete your entire
> inbox though.  Perhaps it's just JWtalks folder that needs deleting (bu=
> again you may lose all it's contents). Maybe someone else here knows.

No, Inbox.msf is not the inbox. I should hope no program in the world=20
would suggest deleting data without at least a warning. (Well Microsoft=20
does in fact do that with ScanDisk and probably Chkdsk too.)