[pchelpers] Re: Drive not read by Window 7

  • From: Gerald Gollinger <gerald4nyc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 12:59:41 -0700 (PDT)

Also I suggest using the front USB ports for your mouse and keyboard and
reserve the four back of PC ports for your peripherals,.
From: pccowboy <saddle@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [pchelpers] Re: Drive not read by Window 7
To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, May 21, 2010, 6:03 PM

On 05/05/10 10:50 AM, Inge wrote:
> I have an external hard drive and would like to use it for backups.
> However, it seems that I lost it somewhere along the line. It is not
> read by Windows 7. It shows in the Device Manager, but it does not
> show under Computer. There is no drive letter for it. It use to be
> Drive G. Now it is simply gone.
>
> How can I get Windows 7 to recognize that drive? Can someone tell me please?
>
> Inge

I have the same problem.
I have a usb drive dock that I use for backups.
One day it didn't show up.
I found out that the reason it wasn't showing, was because W7 didn't
assign it
a drive letter.
Looking in the computer management, the drive was listed with no drive
letter.
Once I assigned a drive letter then it showed up.
But on reboot the drive letter was gone again.

But its OK cause my backup program still sees the drive and backups to
it even if
it doesn't have a drive letter.