[panels] Re: Voltage Range for ADC inputs?

  • From: Jon Dyhr <jdyhr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: panels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 13:46:22 -0700

Hi Mark and Gaby,

Thank you for the help. I have been using the Wing Beat Amplitude signals
instead of the Signal Out, so that was the problem.  The Signal Out voltage
ranges look much more appropriate, although the filtered signal appears to go
negative.

As for the analyzer, we are using a modified (but functionally equivalent)
version of Dave Smith's analyzer.  We have been running the photodetector on
the default 0-6V setting, but I double checked the jumpers just in case. Also, I think the +/-12V output from the wing beat amplitude BNCs are correct (as far as we can tell from the schematics) since they are not being used for the arena
controller.

Thank you again,
Jon

Quoting Mark Frye <frye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Is this one of Dave Smith's analyzers? If so, then you use the Signal
Out (NOT the wingbeat amplitude signals, but rather the 'raw' signal out
- be sure to switch on the filter, not the raw detector signal) to ADC
inputs such that L->ADC0, R->ADC1

I'm not sure about the +-12V reading. Your Signal Out for each wing
should be 0-5, don't be fooled by the DVMs which read in mV.

good luck

Mark A. Frye
Assistant Professor
UCLA Department of Physiological Science
http://www.physci.ucla.edu/research/frye

Jon Dyhr wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We are having problems interfacing our wing beat analyzer with the panel
controller board.  The outputs from our wing beat analyzer are anywhere from
-12V to +12V, but as far as we can tell the controller ADC inputs should range
from 0-5V.  Is this correct?  If so, how do you interface the wing beat
analyzer with the panel controller?

Thanks,
Jon

Jon Dyhr
Graduate Research Associate
Neuromorphic Vision and Robotic Systems Lab (Higgins Lab)
University of Arizona
http://neuromorph.ece.arizona.edu/

Phone: (520)-621-4296
Fax:   (520)-621-2478