[overture] Re: mast-sail

  • From: Alessandro Orchini <aorchini@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 13:13:12 +0200

Hi,

I understood the surface integral part, since my problem is 2d the surface
integral evaluates the perimeter and not really the area, so this is fine,

but I still don't understand why the squarebig boundaries are called in this
routine.

Alessandro

From: aorchini@xxxxxxxxxx
To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [overture] Re: mast-sail
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 12:09:36 +0200

Hi Bill,

I've done as you suggested me, I didn't notice the option "specify faces".
thanks.

Using it I remove the * faces from the mast, since they are already included in
the sail,

where this is my "mast -grid"

          *   *

                    *   *

                    *   *

               -----     ------

              |                |

              |                |

              | ________ |

But looking at the output I notice other issues now:

1) I see that when the Integrate function is called the grid "squarebig" (my
main-domain contour) comes out, and the sail grid (called rot-rod-grid here)
does not. I guess there's something wrong,
   I tried to substitute my grid with the mast-sail grid in the
MappingExamples, but I encounter the same output.

2) also, the surface intergral on the body reads:

    ">>> MovingGrids:Surface area computed by Integrate for body=0 is
6.5733e-02"

which is really not, my surface area is something like 2e-4. I think it is
evaluating the area between the mast and the outside contour! (my whole domain
area is 2e-1)

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

Alessandro

Here is the output

turn on moving grids
rot-stretched-cylinder-grid
MovingGrids:: choosing moving grid = 3
MovingGrids::assign body faces: (side,axis)=(0,0) of grid
rot-stretched-cylinder-grid being added to body 0
MovingGrids::WARNING: setting faces for a body, grid=3
(rot-stretched-cylinder-grid)
 The face (side,axis,bc)=(0,0,1) has an adjacent face (side,axisp,bc)=(0,1,1)
 A corner on a body will not be treated correctly since the normal
 is not well defined. Use `specify faces' to choose the faces to use
MovingGrids::assign body faces: (side,axis)=(1,0) of grid
rot-stretched-cylinder-grid being added to body 0
MovingGrids::WARNING: setting faces for a body, grid=3
(rot-stretched-cylinder-grid)
 The face (side,axis,bc)=(1,0,1) has an adjacent face (side,axisp,bc)=(0,1,1)
 A corner on a body will not be treated correctly since the normal
 is not well defined. Use `specify faces' to choose the faces to use
MovingGrids::assign body faces: (side,axis)=(0,1) of grid
rot-stretched-cylinder-grid being added to body 0
MovingGrids::WARNING: setting faces for a body, grid=3
(rot-stretched-cylinder-grid)
 The face (side,axis,bc)=(0,1,1) has an adjacent face (side,axisp,bc)=(0,0,1)
 A corner on a body will not be treated correctly since the normal
 is not well defined. Use `specify faces' to choose the faces to use
MovingGrids::WARNING: setting faces for a body, grid=3
(rot-stretched-cylinder-grid)
 The face (side,axis,bc)=(0,1,1) has an adjacent face (side,axisp,bc)=(1,0,1)
 A corner on a body will not be treated correctly since the normal
 is not well defined. Use `specify faces' to choose the faces to use
specify faces
Here are the faces of the rigid body:
 face=0:   grid=3 (side,axis)=(0,0)
 face=1:   grid=3 (side,axis)=(1,0)
 face=2:   grid=3 (side,axis)=(0,1)
0
...deleting face=0: grid=3 (side,axis)=0
Here are the faces of the rigid body:
 face=0:   grid=3 (side,axis)=(1,0)
 face=1:   grid=3 (side,axis)=(0,1)
0
...deleting face=0: grid=3 (side,axis)=1
Here are the faces of the rigid body:
 face=0:   grid=3 (side,axis)=(0,1)
done
rot-rod-grid
MovingGrids:: choosing moving grid = 2
MovingGrids::assign body faces: (side,axis)=(0,1) of grid rot-rod-grid being
added to body 0
done
 **** computeSurfaceWeights for surface = 0****
Integrate:surfaceWeights: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(0,1) of
grid rot-stretched-cylinder-grid
---computeSurfaceWeights:  allFaceWeightsDefined=0
OgesParameters: relativeTolerance=1.567235e-11
Integrate: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(0,0) of grid squarebig
Integrate: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(1,0) of grid squarebig
Integrate: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(0,1) of grid squarebig
Integrate: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(1,1) of grid squarebig
Integrate: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(0,1) of grid
rot-stretched-cylinder-grid
 **** computeSurfaceWeights for all surfaces ****
Integrate:surfaceWeights: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(0,0) of
grid squarebig
Integrate:surfaceWeights: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(1,0) of
grid squarebig
Integrate:surfaceWeights: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(0,1) of
grid squarebig
Integrate:surfaceWeights: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(1,1) of
grid squarebig
Integrate:surfaceWeights: we can specify exact weights for (side,axis)=(0,1) of
grid rot-stretched-cylinder-grid
---computeSurfaceWeights:  allFaceWeightsDefined=0
>>> MovingGrids:Surface area computed by Integrate for body=0 is 6.5733e-02
done
Answer=specify grids to move found in getMovingGridOption

Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:08:02 -0700
From: henshaw@xxxxxxxx
To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Hi Alessandro,

         A moving "body" can consist of multiple grids that overlap on
    the body.

    The Integrate class (see the otherStuff.pdf documentation and the
    test routine

    in Overture/tests/testIntegrate.C) knows how to

    compute surface integrals even when grids overlap on the surface.

    When you define the moving grids you will see printed the list of
    grid faces

    that belong to that body (at which point you can optionally remove
    some

    faces if desired). These are the faces that will contribute to the
    force

    calculations.

     I hope that answers your question.

    ...Bill

    On 05/03/2012 02:02 AM, Alessandro Orchini wrote:

        Hi Bill,

        it's  clear to me that I can define multiple grids to move, my
        doubt is how overture evaluate the forces on shared grids.

        Let us say the physical boundaries are given by

        1)rod-grid

         __

        |    |

        |    |

        |    |

        |    |

        *   *

        *   *

        *   *

        and

        2) stretched-cylinder-grid

                    *   *

                    *   *

                    *   *

               -----     ------

              |                |

              |                |

              | ________ |

          (my best cylinder in ASCII...)

          where I've indicated with * the shared boundaries and with
          lines - | _  the unshared ones.

          The the whole grid I move by saying

          "moving grids... specify grids... stretched-cylinder-grid and
          rod-grid"

           is given by

          1+2)

                     __

                    |    |

          |    |

          |    |

          |    |

                    *   *

                    *   *

                    *   *

               -----     ------

              |                |

              |                |

              | ________ |

          and this is ok, the shared boundaries have been superimposed.

          In the MovingGridsClass I read that the program iterates on
          each point of each sub-grid to evaluate the fluid
          forces/torque on the body

          {

          (for b=0, b<body, b++)

          integrate(I1,I2,I3,f)

          }

          Are not then the shared points * counted twice in this way,
          one for each sub-grid? Or, if there's a routine in the shared
          configuration that avoid this, where is located in the code?

          Thanks!

          Alessandro

          On 04/25/2012 12:34 AM,

          Hi Alessandro,

          On 04/25/2012 03:50 AM, Alessandro Orchini wrote:

             Hi all,

              I want to generate a grid similar to the 2d mast-sail grid
              in the examples, and then make this grid move under the
              RigidBodyMotion class.

              I noticed that actually in this way I build up 2 separate
              physical boundaries ("sail-grid" and "stretched-mast-grid"
              in the sampleGrids), that are connected sharing a part of
              the boundary.

              I wonder if is then possible to run this grid under the
              RigidBodyMotion Class:

              Which grid(s) should I move?

              If both of them, does the shared boundary option take into
              account that part of the sail is included in two different
              grids when computing fluid-dynamic forces on the whole
              body?

          This should work. After defining the type of motion you can
          choose multiple grids to move. The forces

          will be computed on the entire body.

          ...Bill